Try not to smile. You can't! It’s National Guacamole Day. And it’s not important how you celebrate, as long as you get some delicious variation of mashed up avocado and sundry ingredients in your face by 11:59PM tonight.
And to enrich your mission, here are 10 guac-related facts:
1) Grammy winner Jason Mraz has an avocado farm on the side that supplies local Chipotle restaurants
2) Avocados been cultivated for over 10,000 years
3) A funny joke would be to replace guacamole with wasabi at a party (don't actually do this)
4) Leaving the pit in to keep it from browning doesn’t really work…
5) The largest serving of guacamole ever weighed 2,669.5 kg (5,885.24 lb), created by the Municipality of Tancítaro Michoacan in Tancítaro, Mexico, on April 4th 2013.
6) Wine pairing? Try a crisp, mid-bodied white like Sauvignon Blanc
7) Tired of bowls? Here’s a recipe w/ instructions to make an edible tortilla hat
8) There are some creative and delicious variations out there
9) Last superbowl, 104.2 million pounds of avocados were consumed, mostly as guacamole, in connection with the game.
10) Avocados have more potassium that a banana, plus many other health benefits. When you serve guac, you’re practically a pharmacist!